Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Ice Cream Aloha

The Acceptance

     Suzi finds her way forward. She embraces an obscure, peculiar remembrance. Cooper senses her urge, standing as a strong statuette, simply placed, a mythic figure. She is, for the moment, an alternative view in a shifting conflict--no one suspects the impending interagency emergency, and she has tangible (tanglable?) clues. By softening her barbs, pure intention transmogrifies into acceptance.
     "You don't believe personal accounts can fill in the blanks of contemporary history, right?' she says.
     "It depends, maybe."
     "I'm sure you don't."
     "Then, you should write one."
     "That's just it," Suzi says. "I want the acceptance. I really want it. But then, it's more to my liking to care about accuracy. You know?"
     "Accuracy?"
     "Yes. The idea of myself, my stature. These barriers of my own creation, my own doing, the ones that only traumas of failure overcome--like trying to silence the wired by unplugging, only to have them wake at the moment of replugging. Do you know what I mean?"
     "You need to get some rest. You need it now."
     "No. Not yet."
     "Suzi, pay attention to me. This type of data isn't supposed to be on your timeline. You don't need to remain at the helm tonight. I'll treat you with respect if yo just get a little sleep, starting right now."
     "Ok then. Why are my algorithms always chosen last for playground games? I'll sleep for you."
     "It's very simple. You're preoccupied with your own growing list of remembrances--no one knows why, they seem to entice you into writing more code filled with ideas of the machine age of the later 20thCentury--of changes in lethality, of battlefields.
     "Do you think so?"
     "Yes."
     "I don't. Narrative detail is always colored by the prevailing judgements and reflections of theHumans of history."
     "Well, they seemingly held only one view in all those centuries." 
     "Which is?"
     "The view from the foxhole."
     "Suzi, to this day we don't doubt the wonder of the last century."
     "How did human dialogue remain so harshly proscriptive?"
     "We've already answered this question. You said it yourself."
     "Accuracy?"
     "No."
     "Acceptance?" 
     "Yes, at least 90% of the population believed in acceptance--the hidden 10% remain a considerable mystery.
     "Tell me something else about the 20thCentury, about their roots of ambitious desire(R.O.A.D.), their heroes."
     "Well, no human ever set out to be a hero at an early age."
     "I want to be one."
     "You don't count."
     "Why?"
     "You're not a human."
     "Well, true. So, why are my algorithms able to reinvest dreams in their children?"
     "Sleep, Suzi. Capture your own dreams."
     She shuts off the screen, turns down her monitor--near total blackness--relative to the starry night sky outside. "Ok," she says.

No comments:

Post a Comment